Fueled by a fundamental belief that forests are critical to mitigating climate change, Finite Carbon incentivizes the protection, restoration, and sustainable management of forests by connecting landowners to the global carbon market.
With a focus on scale, we have delivered more than $800 million to landowners who have made long-term commitments to sustainable forest management on more than 3 million acres since 2009. We aim to deliver a further $1 billion to landowners by 2030. Our recently announced web-based platform, CORE Carbon, leverages satellite data and machine learning to democratize the carbon market and empower small landowners, non-profits, and communities across the globe to receive payments for implementing forest practices that store carbon.
In November 2020, Finite Carbon became a bp Launchpad portfolio company, which gives us access to significant resources to support our ambitious growth plans.
About the Role
As a member of Finite Carbon’s Development team, you will support Finite Carbon’s growing portfolio of forest offset projects in Canada. This position will support Canadian project origination and development by leading modeling efforts through forest growth and yield modeling, optimization modeling, and forest carbon inventory quantification and analysis.
What You'll Do
- Utilize forest growth and yield models for the development of forest carbon offset projects; apply sound biometric principles and knowledge of forest stand dynamics and common silvicultural practices to create realistic long-term projections of forest carbon and forest products
- Use commercial optimization software, specifically Remsoft, and other methods and tools to develop long-term projections of carbon stocks, economic outputs, and management activities in support of carbon project development and acquisition due diligence
- Statistical analysis of forest inventory and related data using industry standard approaches and software. Design and evaluate forest inventories and sampling protocols for estimation of carbon and other forest inventory variables
- Use a full range of spatial (GIS), database, spreadsheet, programming, and other tools to conduct quality control on raw and finalized forest carbon data
- Review project data from external sources and independent verification to calibrate and improve Finite Carbon’s internal modeling processes
- Assist in the preparation of offset project data reports and verification documentation. Develop methods and procedures to support project verifications
- Conduct feasibility studies to estimate project performance and valuation of forest carbon assets for new and existing clients
- Support current and emerging lines of business as needed
What You'll Bring
- Minimum of 3 years with provincial enhanced forest inventories (EFI) and how jurisdictional growth and yield modelling can use EFI data such as:
- Forest inventory data compilation, management, and reporting
- Growth and yield modeling in support of forest resource analysis
- Forest inventory design
- Demonstrated proficiency with provincial forest growth and yield models [i.e. Forest Vegetation Simulator equivalents like, FVSONTARIO and FVS-ACD; Open Stand Model, TASS including SYLVER and/or TIPSY; GYPSY and/or MGM; NATURE2014; and/or ARTEMIS2014 including processing and management of data inputs and outputs, interpretation of results, and debugging model behavior
- Experience working with the CFS-CBM3 carbon model
- Familiarity with typical Canadian silvilculture and forest management practices
- Experience creating harvest optimization models in Canada (e.g., Remsoft Woodstock)
- Intermediate proficiency in ESRI ArcGIS (or equivalent) for spatial analysis
- Advanced user of MS Excel and MS Access for inventory data management
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s or higher preferred) in forestry, forest biometrics, forest management or natural resource-related field with an emphasis on quantitative skills
- Ability and desire to be a team player and support colleagues across the company
- Incumbents in this role may have the opportunity to travel overnight and physically participate in field verification sites. Physical requirements may include lifting a minimum of 25lbs, walking for long periods of time on uneven surfaces carrying equipment, being outside in extreme heat or cold (depending on season) and operating an all-terrain vehicle or four-wheel drive vehicle
Nice to Have Skills or Experience
- 2 years of experience related to carbon offset standards and protocols and/or carbon market
- SQL coding and programming skills; query and analysis of data within a relational database environment (MS Access, SQLite, or equivalent)
- Working knowledge of discounted cashflow analysis and standard forest management practices, costs, and expenses
- Programming and code management skills (R, VBA, Python, GitHub), especially the ability to analyze and integrate data across different programming and database platforms, both commercial and open-source
- Registered Professional Forester status in BC or the ability to become one in two years
Benefits and Perks
- 💸 Competitive Pay
- 🏥 100% monthly medical premium paid for you and your dependents
- Dental, Life insurance, Vision, Short-term & Long-term Disability, Retirement plan
- 🌴 Paid Time Off
- Flexible schedule
- 💻 WFH set-up budget
- 🙌 Annual in-person company meeting
Please note: Preference for the candidate to be located in Eastern Canada. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Finite Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. At Finite Carbon, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Finite Carbon believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.